Steel Watches for Men
Steel Watches for Men
Tough, robust and able to withstand years of wear and tear, steel watches are timeless and dependable timekeepers. Every man needs at least one in their collection, as they are easy to combine with lots of different outfits. They come in every watch type imaginable and perform admirably at every task. Nowadays, you can find a steel watch in every color imaginable. Gone are the days of having to settle for a bare silver colour of steel, where the only options were brushed or a mirror finish. Now, with the addition of colors like black, rose gold or even the dual tones, you can find the perfect rendition of your personality with the longevity of stainless steel. They can be reliable workhorses during the day while looking comfortable at a get-together in the evening. It is easy to see why stainless steel watches for men are so popular.
A Steel Watch for Everyone
Steel is the most used metal in watchmaking. This is not a surprise if you look at the qualities of steel, especially the stainless steel. From a watchmaker’s perspective, steel is cheap, durable, versatile, as it can be used for both watch case and strap, elegant, and popular. This is good news for the watch buyers too. As these qualities are reflected to the buyers. It is interesting because stainless steel watches were rare and considered unsightly looking tools up until the 1970s. Today, you can find a suitable and stylish steel watch for your needs whatever your price range is. If you are;
- Looking for a “beater-watch”, which is an everyday watch that you don't mind scratching up a bit
- Living an active lifestyle and need a dependable timekeeper that you can use and abuse
- Into diving and watersports.
- Want a versatile dress watch that you can use for anywhere, anytime
- Want a watch for wearing to the office and small business meetings
There’s a stainless steel watch for you.
How to Choose a Stainless Steel Watch
Choosing a stainless steel watch can be very hard as the sheer number of available models can be intimidating. This is an advantage for you, as having options usually means getting a quality product for a cheaper price.
When shopping for a new watch, the process starts with choosing a price point. Once you establish how much money you are willing to pay, you need to choose a movement and style of watch, as these are the main factors in terms of pricing. While having to decide on so many things seems a lot, if you take time and do your research, you’ll have a good watch that will be with you for years to come.
A watch’s movement is what makes the clock tick. It is the mechanism that moves the dials and other functions of the watch. There are three main types of movements -Quartz, Mechanical and Automatic- and each have their unique set of advantages and disadvantages.
- Quartz is the cheapest movement. It is battery powered. The battery sends a signal in a quartz crystal and vibrates it. A quartz movement keeps the time by measuring the frequency of the crystal. They are very accurate, require less maintenance apart from the regular battery changes and easy to use.
- Mechanical movement is more expensive than a quartz one and needs precise workmanship to produce. They work by winding the watch and storing kinetic energy on a spring. The watch’s mechanism will release this energy slowly to power the watch, without the need of a battery. They look great and can be a heirloom piece as they can last more than a lifetime.
- Automatic movement is almost the same as a mechanical one, apart from a key difference. This movement stores the kinetic energy from the user’s day-to-day movements to keep the watch ticking. This is achieved thanks to a part called rotor. The rotor can rotate freely with the movement of the wrist, winding the mainspring along the way.
Once you decide what kind of movement you want, you should choose a type of watch.
Steel Watch Types
You can find a steel watch with complications to make your life a little bit easier. There are lots of different types of watches and prices vastly differ from one type to another.
- A dress watch is what you’ll wear on formal occasions like a dinner, wedding or a business meeting. They are the most basic ones but they are also the most elegant and classy.
- A divers watch is originally made for divers. While nowadays they are not used for diving, they still have a respectable water resistance. Today, their role is more dry yet still important. They can be used for day-to-day wear and some office meetings and social gatherings.
- A chronograph is a classy but very functional tool. They are mostly used by military members, athletes, pilots, and race car drivers. A chronograph watch is accurate and has a stopwatch as a complication. Today, they are mostly used by people who live active lives and can be used for anything less than a formal meeting.
- Pilot’s watches are big watches that have lots of complications. Just like chronographs, pilot’s watches were very important tools for their users and helped them with vital tasks. They have busy watch faces thanks to their complications and can be used for social events.